Horseback riding can be both a thrilling and challenging experience since interacting with such a large animal requires a specific level of expertise and patience. When done properly, horseback riding can be exciting, therapeutic and relaxing all at the same time. There are studies that show that horseback riding is beneficial for intellectual and emotional processes. Also, you’ll gain an appreciation of the symbiotic relationship created between you and your horse.
Horseback riding is one of the main activities you can enjoy while on a dude ranch vacation. If you have never ridden a horse before, you can prepare yourself in advance before your trip. Horseback riding for newbies can seem a little bit daunting at first but once you get going you’ll catch on quickly. Here are some tips to help beginners get started:
1. Get a head start. Find an equestrian center or horse ranch in your area and get some practice time in the saddle or lessons before your trip. Most dude ranches will give beginners some instruction but if you want to arrive ready to hop on a horse and ride, taking some lessons beforehand will allow you to get ahead of the game.
3. Get proper riding attire. As a beginner rider, you must have a helmet specifically made for horseback riding. A riding helmet should be purchased since riding helmets covers more of the head and are designed to protect riders against falls while riding. Other types of helmets aren’t suitable for riding.
Boots needs to be flat-soled, pointed, and they should have a short heel, all to aid the simple removal of the boot from the stirrup in case anything goes wrong.
4. Prepare yourself mentally. It is very important that you are able to control your feelings while riding a horse. A relaxed and calm demeanor is best as your horse can sense the way you feel. If you lack confidence your horse will sense this and will be harder to control. Remember, your horse doesn’t know that you are a beginner so act confident and trust yourself and each other.
5.Prepare yourself physically. Strength and balance work together to help you relax and communicate with your horse so you can have the best ride possible. There are various exercises available that can help strengthen a rider and make them feel more secure in the saddle. Many of these can be found here
5. Start with an experienced horse. Once you start riding, it is very important that you begin with a very experienced horse so at least one of you understands the routine. As you become more comfortable in the saddle you will have the opportunity to ride horses more suited for experienced riders. As you do, you’ll soon realize they’re all different, just like people.
Horseback riding for beginners is very exciting and with the proper training you will be able to enjoy all that this fun activity can offer you.
- 7 Fun Activities Other Than Horseback Riding on a Dude Ranch
- RanchSeeker’s Horseback Riding Photo of the Month
- Activities at a Guest Ranch Other Than Horseback Riding
- Guest Ranch Vacations and First Time Riding a Horse