Lamb is probably one of the favorite game meats. It’s lean, rich, and if cooked right, packed with so much earthy flavor. This braised lamb recipe from Lone Mountain Ranch showcases some one of the favorite ways to bring a bit of elegance to a very rustic style of cooking. Dutch oven cooking is a good old fashioned cowboy style, and this recipe highlights that style. Try this braised lamb shank recipe with some oven roasted vegetables and mash to accompany.
Lone Mountain Ranch is a historic summer and winter guest ranch in the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem of Southwest Montana, we offer 4 to 7-night all inclusive luxury Dude Ranch vacations with a plethora of activities, cozy cabins, stunning scenery and incredible cuisine.
1 cup of flour
2 tbsp salt
1 tbsp pepper
4 lamb shanks
½ pound pearl onions
1 large carrot half mooned
4 sprigs of rosemary
8 cups beef stock
4 cloves of garlic
2 cups red wine (cabernet preferred)
1 Dutch oven
- Combine salt, pepper, and flour. Dredge lamb shanks in flour and sear in a smoking hot Dutch oven with vegetables and oil.
- Once they have browned remove them from the pan and add chopped vegetables to the pan. Sauté them till lightly colored.
- Deglaze with red wine, place shanks back in the Dutch oven, cover with beef stock and keep at a slow simmer for 2 hours. Check every 30 minutes and add stock when necessary. The shanks are finished when the meat pulls apart with a fork.
- Serve with your favorite mashed potatoes and big glass of red wine.
- Red Reflet Ranch’s Homemade Biscuit Recipe
- Western Pleasure Guest Ranch Corn Bread Recipe
- Sherry’s Amazing BBQ Brisket From Elk Mountain Ranch
- Lone Mountain Ranch Pork Loin
- Agnes’ Chicken Wing Dip Recipe From Elk Mountain Ranch