Horses have played an important role in human history. They are magnificent creatures that have served dutifully alongside humans in times of war, farming and hunting as well. In addition, people have always relied on equines for transportation during ancient times. Horses were the first “engines” and were originally used to pull chariots and wagons until the invention of the automobile.
Horses have been admired through the ages for their beauty, speed and strength. They also have many other characteristics and abilities that may not be as well- known but are still fascinating. There are plenty of horse facts and horse trivia to learn. Horses are a fun and clever animal. Here are some horse facts and trivia for you to enjoy.
Amazing horse facts and horse Trivia:
- Horses cannot vomit
- Horses can sleep standing up or lying down
- Horses are herbivores
- Horses are able to run shortly after being born
- In 2003, Italy, the horse was first cloned, which is Halflinger Mare
- Horses like sweet flavors and usually reject anything bitter or sour
- The teeth of the horse will never stop growing.
- In 680 B.C, Chariot racing was the 1st Olympic sport.
- Horses have bigger eyes than any other land mammal
- The word chivalry comes from the French word for horse
- Horses will poop 14 times per day
- The weight of the average horse is about half of a ton and its brain is the size of a potato
- The hoof of the horse is analogous to a human fingernail and the horses will stand on the middle fingers.
- Horses have more memory power than elephants
- No gall bladders for horses
- Horses distinguish tones instead of specific words.
- Horses see a different image in each eye, so horses can see 2 different images or pictures at the same time. They have binocular vision.
- Horses are found in the cave paintings which date to about 15000 B.C
- Freshly mowed grass cuttings may cause colic in horses
- Horses will drink up to 25 gallons of water per day.
- Horses can see better than a human at night but it takes the horse eyes longer to adjust from the dark to light and light to dark than humans.
- Horses can see almost 360 degrees at any given time with the exception of blind spots directly in front or behind them
- Horses have better senses of smell and hearing than humans
- Horses cannot breathe through their mouths
- Horses will produce approximately ten gallons of saliva per day.
- The heart of the horse weighs about 10 or 9 pounds.
- There are about 300 horse breeds and ponies available worldwide.
- The teeth of the horse occupy more space in the head than it’s brain.
- Generally, adult female horses have 36 teeth and males 40 teeth.
- 10 Facts About Dude Ranches that will Impress Your Friends
- RanchSeeker’s Photo of the Week: Spotted Horse Ranch
- Guest Ranch Vacations and First Time Riding a Horse
- Sherry’s Amazing BBQ Brisket From Elk Mountain Ranch